Have a Question or Would You Like Some Help?
Please call us at 313-532-9600
Today and we will be happy to assist you!
Floor Area = Length of room x Width of room
Wall Area = Height of wall x Length of wall
The foundation of a solid redecorating plan includes accurate dimensions of your living space. To start, we suggest creating an accurate Floor Plan. Here is what you will need to get started.
• 25–foot metal tape measure. Look for one that locks and retracts.
• Graph paper: The grid makes it much easier to sketch an accurate plan.
• Drafting tools: A ruler, pencils with erasers, a clipboard.
Tel: (313) 532-9600 Hours: Monday-Friday 9:00am to 7:00pm, Sat. 9:30am - 5:00pm
Basic Measuring Instructions
• Before measuring, make a rough sketch of the basic floor plan, including walls, windows, hallways, closets and door placements. Don't worry too much about it being proportional at this point.
• With your rough sketch in hand, start measuring. Measure in running dimensions as much as possible. Fix the tape measure at one corner and run the tape along the side of the room, taking note of the measurement each time on your rough sketch.
• Make additional measurements and notes on the drawing as you see fit. These might include the ceiling height, trim width, flooring or wall materials, etc.
• With your new measurements and a new sheet of graph paper, redraw your floor plan to accurately represent your room’s proportions.
• Make photocopies of the finished drawing. You can use the copies anytime you need to talk to a retailer about new flooring or window accents, or even when rearranging furniture.
We have complied some tips on measuring your space for new flooring. It is best to have your retailer or installer make final measurements to ensure that you purchase the correct amount. As professionals, they know how to include hallways and closets, match patterns, plan seam placement, work with room irregularaties, and account for rooms with widths greater than 12 feet (most carpet is produced in 12– and 15–foot widths).
Floors & remodeling